You are now entering the world of Titch-Films!

I'm an aspiring screenwriter from London, UK. This is my blog about my career as it progresses in film and television, along with posts which are my musings, reviews, and not so expertly compiled analyses of film and TV. Enjoy.

About Me

My photo
London, Surrey, United Kingdom
I'm a creative and opinionated writer from South-London. I rate Doctor Who, Buffy, individuality and questioning the world around us. I slate back-stabbers, ignorance, traffic jams and chewing gum. I also founded the Free Your Mind mental health anti-stigma campaign.

Saturday 25 September 2010

Devil (2010) Review

My hopes were high for this film; I enjoy horror-mysteries and this one looked like it would be full of suspense. Co-written by M.Night Shyamalan, I expected the film to keep me guessing until the end. But unfortunately, it didn't.

Warning: Do not read on if you do not want the movie to be spoiled.

Devil is a film about a group of strangers who get stuck in a lift together. One-by-one each person gets killed off by an evil entity (the "Devil") whom they believe to be someone inside the lift.

We are presented with five bland, one-dimensional characters: a security guard, a young woman who dates older men for money, a salesman, an older woman who cries a lot, and a man who was involved in a hit-and-run which killed two people. It appears that the development of a character depends on how long they survive the film.

The "Devil" turns out to be the older woman - who after a fake death, involving her seemingly being hung, comes back to life - so she goes from weepy older woman to creepy older woman. To be honest, I probably could have worked that out from watching the trailer. In my opinion, creepy older woman is a way too obvious choice for an evil entity in a movie.

Devil disappointed me on so many levels; it wasn't thrilling, suspenseful, or even much of a mystery. This is a film I'll probably avoid buying when it is released on DVD.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment