You are now entering the world of Titch-Films!

I'm an aspiring screenwriter from London, UK. This is my blog about my career as it progresses in film and television, along with posts which are my musings, reviews, and not so expertly compiled analyses of film and TV. Enjoy.

About Me

My photo
London, Surrey, United Kingdom
I'm a creative and opinionated writer from South-London. I rate Doctor Who, Buffy, individuality and questioning the world around us. I slate back-stabbers, ignorance, traffic jams and chewing gum. I also founded the Free Your Mind mental health anti-stigma campaign.

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Doctor Who: The Doctor's Wife (Review)

The TARDIS matrix (it's soul) is pulled into a human body and she finally meets her "thief" face-to-face...
The fourth episode in the sixth series of Doctor Who 'The Doctor's Wife' was alive with references to the series' themes and mysteries, so it probably would have been really difficult to not pay attention.

I'm almost certain there were many red herrings amongst the "clues" we were given, but I'm completely uncertain which of the "clues" could have been aimed at throwing the viewer off course. As I've mentioned before, I love mystery, and good writing would have all questions answered in the end - which I'm more than confident will happen in the case of this series of Doctor Who (albeit probably a few loose ends to tie-over until next series).


The transportation of the Doctor's TARDIS matrix into a human body brought us wonderful interactions (and flirtations) between the Doctor and his TARDIS in human form, played by Suranne Jones, as Idris, or 'Sexy' (his name for the TARDIS when they're alone). The inevitable parting of the Doctor and Idris made the exploration of their relationship rather poignant.


There were many moments to love within the episode; for example, Idris telling the Doctor 'I always took you where you needed to go' and her referral to him as her 'thief'.


Amy's pregnancy is a complete mystery; with the "negative/positive" scan, Amy being kidnapped by the Silence, and, now, possibly, the Doctor and his TARDIS planning to make it possible for them to interact again..?
Idris's expression becomes thoughtful when the Doctor tells her 'We are going to build a TARDIS.'
The Doctor also mentions to her, 'Wouldn't it be amazing if we could always talk, even when you're stuck inside the box?!' 
Was this a clue or possibly a "red herring"?


House messing with Amy's head, and making her believe Rory was dead (again) was fun. I also thought both Amy and Rory running from House was fun. These two are easily my favourite companions since the 2005 reboot.


Overall, the episode was highly enjoyable, and fun. I thought the Doctor's TARDIS in human form was brilliant. And; as Idris's body burnt-out, I felt genuinely sad the Doctor would never be able to interact with her again...

1 comment: